Travel abroad

Ukrainian refugees with a biometric passport can travel to other European countries and stay there for 90 days. On this basis, they can choose the EU country where they can benefit from their rights to temporary protection and join family and friends in the Member State where they are located.


Ukrainian refugees who have been granted temporary protection, who do not have a biometric passport that allows them to travel to Europe without a visa, are entitled to visa facilitation if they want to continue living in another country.


If you entered the EU through Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Ireland, which are not part of the Schengen free movement without border controls, you will be allowed to travel to other EU countries, but your documents will be re-checked in the first EU country that is part of the Schengen area – for example, if you cross the border between Romania and Hungary. Note that Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein are not EU countries, but Schengen countries. You can travel to these countries once you enter the Schengen area, but your rights to temporary protection may differ from those in the EU.


Once you have entered a country that is part of the Schengen area, you can generally move without border controls to other countries that are part of the Schengen area. However, you can do this in just 90 days in 180 days (6 months).


Although Denmark is an EU and Schengen country, it does not participate in the temporary protection scheme and does not apply EU asylum rules. Therefore, your rights relating to international or temporary protection in Denmark may differ from those you have in other EU countries.


If you register and receive temporary protection in Bulgaria while still having the right to travel visa-free to the EU for 90 days within a 180-day period, only Bulgaria will be obliged to grant you the rights deriving from temporary protection. However, Bulgaria has the right to decide to extend your rights, including the right to receive a Bulgarian travel document abroad, which will allow you to travel without a visa.


The EU instructs that refugees from Ukraine who have been granted temporary protection in one European country but have then moved to another European country must obtain a new permit and document from a person under temporary protection. In such cases, the first temporary protection document issued shall be subject to destruction..


Compass for refugees
Ask your question